This sprint composed of several tasks in preparation for the service implementation. We are currently researching, designing and building the service architecture. On the other hand, we are putting together ideas and needs for the technology comparison between the LPWAN technologies our sensors use.
I think it’s weird to speak of week 3’s main outcome, considering that the current sprint constitutes of weeks 3 and 4. There should be absolutely no need for inter-sprint outcomes. That being said, the meeting with Radiolab and acquiring the LoRa sensors was very important on previous week. As well as the advances made in GUI design.
For this week we had team members tell a little bit which parts of the project they have been working on. Our tasks were mostly given to teams of 2 but this should give some kind of a picture anyway:
As we want to visualize occupancy data with interactive map of the ICT-City, we needed the floor maps as SVG files. Previously we had made a preliminary version which was mostly used for testing the UI technologies and design, but for the first sprint our aim was to get more or less final versions of at least two first floors. Luck being on our side we got to know that similar kind of maps had been previously been made for all of the floors of ICT-City. We acquired these maps and needed to only put couple hours of work to make whatever adjustments we needed to get them to look and work how we needed them to. Next step for the map is to put the final version up to the GUI and make whatever little changes we’ll need.
Since we want to make sure everyone in the team gets to learn how to work with the cloud platform as well as work with whatever instances we decide to use, we took a closer look both into how we should organize the Azure instances and how we should handle user rights in Azure, since some of the team already have access to the Azure subscription account.
It was easy to decide that we should dip all the needed instances into the same resource group and handle user rights on resource group level since that makes it fairly convenient. Additionally, we thought it best to first give ‘read’ access to everyone in the group and then request other rights to specific instances as needed since Azure user roles do not exactly offer us what we’d really need.
The graphical user interface for the end user has been designed and a preliminary implementation exists which is constantly being worked on. The GUI will be implemented with VueJS and Vuetify Material Design Component Framework.
Test cases have been designed and will be implemented for LoRa sensors next week. The goal is to test the accuracy of the sensors in the classrooms. Records are kept of the circumstances in the classrooms such as the amount of people in the room and sensor placement.
Azure infrastructure design
We researched Azure infrastructure possibilities for our service. We’d very much like to use different kinds of services offered by the platform. There’s a lot of choices here. Everything from Event and IoT-hubs and Azure functions to machine learning related services and virtual machine instances. We decided not to rush this task ready. It’s particularly important to take some time with this because our possible data storages depend on the architecture chosen.
Azure data receiving end-point
We deployed an Ubuntu 16.04 based data receiving server instance in Azure. At this point this is mostly for testing purposes but depending on infrastructure design this server will have some role in the final implementation.
Service interface design
Without a clear picture of the Azure infrastructure we were only able to design the interface between clientside and Azure. This is a simple JSON format in which the data is transfered to the frontend.
I began with looking for technology comparisons made by others that were similar to what we are trying to compare. Based on those and earlier discussions I made an early version of it. It was shown to the group and we got feedback for it. I then tried to clarify some points, removed some unnecessary ones and condensed other points. Finally me and Riku made the final changes to it trying to make it clear and understandable. For now we have a way to compare the technologies that we will make adjustments if necessary.